Open Invention Network
Enabling freedom of action in open source technologies for the world’s largest patent non-aggression community.
Established in 2005, Open Invention Network (OIN) is the world’s largest patent non-aggression community and free defensive patent pool.
We remove patent friction in core open source technologies, which drives higher levels of innovation. Open source software distills the collective intelligence of a global community.
We enable freedom of action for Open Invention Network community members and users of Linux/OSS-based technology through our patent non-aggression cross-license in the Linux System, which defines the commitment.
We will continue to grow our worldwide membership and the Linux System over time, thereby strengthening our patent non-aggression coverage through the power of the network effect.
- IBM, NEC, Philips, Red Hat, Sony & SUSE (2005)
- Google (2013)
- Toyota (2016)
Led by CEO Keith Bergelt, in coordination with OIN’s Board of Directors, who are senior executives from OIN’s Funding Members.
WHAT WE DO:
- Deliver royalty-free access to the Linux System patents of our community members via cross licensing commitments
- Manage over 1,300 OIN patents and applications, licensed free of charge to all of our members
- Leverage our relationships to collect and share prior art when needed
- Challenge patent applications if appropriate
- Provide collective intelligence from a global community
- Support our members and those under attack from patent aggressors
BY THE NUMBERS:
- OIN has exceeded 3,000 members from start-ups
to Fortune 100 corporations
- Members gain access to a cross-licensee pool of patents – in total, the OIN community owns more than 2 million patents and applications
- Our patent portfolio includes approximately 1,300 global patents and applications with broad scope
- We have invested over $100 million in acquiring defensive patents
- Within the Linux System, we have more than 2,800 open source core Linux technology packages
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
- Everyone can join
- Everyone signs the same terms
- Membership is free
- No barrier to entry
- No requirement to hold patents in the Linux System
- List of community members and licensees
- Everyone makes the same cross license commitment in the Linux System
- No ongoing time commitment
- Sign up on-line in less than 10 minutes